Sunday 22 February 2009

KLPAC Open Day

This post is actually long overdue =S

A couple of weeks ago, me and Naz went to the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC) for its Open Day. I desperately needed to do something to get rid of my frustrations of not being able to go online and zone out in front of my beloved laptop, so when I heard about the Open Day, I called Naz up and made her come with me ^^

It was my first time there and the location of the centre was so freakingly beautiful!! The centre is actually an old 4 stories colonial mansion/hall/some big ass building redone by putting in these huge big glass panes as walls to give an airy feel to it whilst bringing in a lot of light in. It had thses magnificant high ceilings too! *sigh* I love these old grand architectures~ The centre was nestled amongst these huge trees, a lake and also other long forgotten looking mansions and something that looked like a servants quarters left over from the colonial period. These buildings however weren't done up and were just left there in its abandoned and haunted like state (but still very beautiful).

We got there pretty early in the morning and oh the weather that day was super nice!!! The sun was shining brightly and there was slight breeze (but it got sweltering hot by the mid afternoon but no big deal cos all we had to do was just walk into the air-conditionedcentre ^^). The whole event was divided into the outside shows and also some performances and workshops held inside the many different classrooms/studios in the centre itself.

Once we were there, we looked around a bit, got the itinerary and then went straight to the bazaar Xp Shopping when you know the stuff are gonna be cheap is the best kind of shopping for me ^^ I got this wicked long thick silver necklace the shape of a snake and this super cute light blue breezy top (Something which I would usually never buy just cos it wasn't black. I blame it on the fun atmosphere of that day Xp).

The atmosphere there was just filled with excitement. Every kind of artsy farsty person you could think of was there. You had the hippie musicians, the bohemian groupies, the serious actors/musicians, random techno and rock musicians too, the random weirdly dressed guys and girls sprouting some poetic mumbo jumbo stuff whilst walking around, more random people (men AND women) posing for insane photography sessions such as "Pregnancy!" where they pretended to look like they were about to give birth in the middle of the grassy courtyard and a Chinese man who had painted his whole body and face white whilst wearing a wedding dress backwards with a short red wig (with figurines on his head) on and holding a big white whimsical umbrella whilst walking about the place and then getting onstage to pose randomly when the music played. I swear, I had such a wicked and surreal experience watching him. I have no idea why, but seeing him do that totally made my day ^^

Me and Naz also managed to catch a slew of performances and attended a couple of workshops too. Naz made me enter a Flamenco workshop. I gave up halfway. My body was protesting at all the weird movements its never done before. When the performers were dancing, it looked so elegant and effortless but my arms hurt like hell not even half way through!! Plus, I had to stop cos I couldn't bear to look at myself in the long studio mirror anymore. It was horrific looking at myself flailing my arms around like a mad person looking thoroughly confused T__T

We also ended up in this in this tribal drum group where we sat in a circle and just banged on drums for like an hour to the motion of this guy in the middle of the circle. It was hypnotic. My heart was beating to the beat of the drums, people started walking around the circle to the beat and I couldn't hear much afterwards ^^


I'm still waiting for the pics from Naz but once I do get them, I'll post it up...if they come out good. I think we played more than we took pics that day ^^

Next time KLPAC has an Open Day, make sure you guys go!! I had such a blast! =D



No comments: