Thursday, 11 December 2008

My Confusion with Twilight

Photobucket

Currently listening to: Twilight the Score; Music by Carter Burwell.

I've just finished watching Twilight for the second time. The reason why I watched it the first time was because the movie has vampires in them and the second time was to listen to the music they played in the movie i.e. what I'm currently listening to right now. I must say though that the music score was wicked. The movie? Not so. But I've had a girl crush on Kristen Stewart for ages so seeing her in it was cool and did I mentioned that I just randomly like vampires in general? Xp

Watching the movie made me actually want to go and purchase the book/series myself,
just so to fill in the gaping holes in the plot and the mildly confusing and broken conversations between the characters (I swear that "lamb and lion" thing was definately from a line in the book but it seemed so misplaced within the movie).



I was wondering why I never bought the book in the first place, when I remembered that I was turned off by the Wiki article about Edward Cullen I read a while back (I looked him up when BeijingBaby mentioned him in one of her posts. She had a mad crush on him).

**SPOLIER ALERT!!** (Highlight to see the text below)

Basically, Edward Cullen is a vampire imbued with morals/virtue/will only get it on with the love of his undead life after getting hitched to her and later on they have a child together who happens to be human.


Huh. If that didn't already put me off from reading the novel, I then read a comment by someone on Youtube about the book, saying that it was "some sort of fantasy book for those "tweens" who have just outgrown 'Harry Potter' and are not quite decadent enough yet for the doubtful pleasures of the Anne Rice vampire novels", which I more or less assume to mean that after reading the Vampire Chronicles, the book will probably pale in comparison (I mean lets face it, Edward seems to be the complete opposite of Lestat (whom I love) in so many ways). They say its like reading a bad fanfiction. Good concept but bad writing...

The thing is, I already have this preconceived notion as to what a vampyre is/should be. Through my years of obsessing reading about the undead (immortality is a fascinating subject for me because death frightens the crap out of me), I have come to the realization that there are certain general rules regarding the undead.

1. They're usually not so virtuous as Edward. Celibacy/abstaining was never a popular term within the vampyre community. Why do you think Angel was so fucking tortured 95% of the time??

2. They cannot procreate through sex with a human. Dead sperm is well...dead. Unless, they go through the loophole that was "Blade" (Somebody definitely needs to fill me in on how they achieved this).

3. They don't sparkle "like diamonds" (Cool concept though).

4. Those who have been the undead for more than 100 years...usually have better vocabulary and a certain eloquence when speaking.

5. Hunting/killing/maiming/torturing is a sport. Baseball is...new to me.

Basically, I've already been brainwashed by Greek mythology, folktales, Bram Stoker, J.W. Polidori, Joss Whedon, Anne Rice and random crazed vampire shrine websites (though not necessarily in that order) of what vampires/lamia/vampyres/the undead really are. So my brain cannot seem to fathom the concept of Edward Cullen...and his ability to procreate with a human. I mean, I get the whole nice vamp thing, but not the procreating bit. For starters, why bite and turn humans, when you can just have sex with them and get (human?) babies? Which now leads me to the question of whether they will then have to use condoms when doing it (family planning is important btw although I never thought it'd ever be an issue to vampires before this).

The whole procreating thing with humans just goes against the whole vampire mythology. I mean, in general, humans are food to them, so how can they breed humans? Eh. See? I'm all sorts of confused right now. But it would have been nice though (should someone give me a plausible answer as to how they achieved said feat). Imagine a world where they have a bunch of human kids/men walking around with said vampire mummy/daddy's good looks...

Oh, that would be so fucking perfect. I could so deal with that ^_~



**Edit**
NYCSeoulTokyo made a post about Twilight better than me. Made me lmao. She's a riot! ^^ Read it here. Oh, read the comments too. Pretty funny as well.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The line about the lion and the lamb is there in the book, intan. Edward said, "And the lion fell in love with the lamb." and both he and Bella laughed about it. Basically he was using the predator and prey analogy to describe them. LOL. The procreation of the part-human and part-vampire baby also baffles me. But seeing that they managed to successfully conceive makes me wonder now if the female vampires ovulate just like us mortals. Haha!

Intan said...

I got the meaning behind it. And the scene in the book made sense. But when translated on screen, it seemed so...misplaced. Like there was supposed to be another scene which was cut or something. I dunno. Seemed so weird. He pushing her against the stone, then she pushes him, then bamb! "lamb and lion" line....I swear, there should have been a kiss there. Maybe a heavy make-out session...Xp

Anonymous said...

You watched it twice?!!!
To think YOU couldn't stop complaining about it right after we left d cinema d 1st time..
& you went to watch it twice!!
0_o

Intan said...

I knoooow, even though I had major issues with the story, I just couldn't get the soundtrack outta my head. The stupid thing is the stores here aren't selling the score either. Bleh.