Saturday, 3 January 2009

Nan Lian Garden in Hong Kong Part I

Note: I wrote this ages ago but I couldn't post it cos Photobucket hates me. Therefore it'll come in two parts just cos uploading the pics takes soo long.

As much as I would like to spam you all with different photos of all the things I bought in Hong Kong...I can't. Cos I don't shop in foreign countries. Period. Well, I don't shop for the type of things you would expect anyway (-_-;;) I am afterall a student with a tight budget and therefore I must prioritize my spending habits.

Basically, I only shop what I need. Unless it's on my list of things to get, I'm usually good at refraining from buying stuff I don't need (just cos impulsive buying always, always gives me a guilt trip and then I have to start saving all over again!). But I do have my indulgences of course. Mainly paintings, books, CDs and DVDs just cos they're my form of investment. I intend to fill up my (future) house with all the paintings I've collected throughout the years, have my own library and also a room dedicated to house just my music collection. I guess you can call it my own private form of escapism from this dreary mess I call reality.

But I digress...again. *sigh*

The point of this post is to spam my blog with pretty, pretty pictures of the Nan Lian Garden in Hong Kong. I adore pretty, pretty gardens which are well groomed and taken care of (as exemplified by this post and also this post about the Meiji Garden in Japan). And when visiting places, I will usually head on down to the nearest gardens/parks I can find (usually in countries where the weather isn't too hot) and just hang around the gardens there for a day (or two depending on how long I'm in said country). Being there helps me to really sink in my surroundings and get a grip on the fact that I am in a different country/place and to just enjoy the feeling of being free and away from the familiarity of what my life is/was and well gardens are just...calming places. Its the place where I go to put things in perspective. To just sit down on a bench under a tree and zone out or to ponder about life in general, or to write your thoughts down, draw (which I don't do btw but I do happen upon a lot of people drawing/painting the scenery in these gardens) or just to people watch ^^

My favourite type of gardens are the historical gardens. I used to be obsessed about those grand European gardens (I had a thing for vast manicured lawns and mazes. I think its that whole being free feeling again Xp) and I also had a thing for Japanese and Balinese traditional gardens. Anyway, imagine my delight when I found out that there was a Tang dynasty (618AD to 906AD) style Chinese garden in Hong Kong ^^ Its located in the city which is why you can see the sky scrapers in the background but it still seemed somewhat isolated from the madness outside. There's also a nunnery, a temple, some gift shops, a museum and a restaurant hidden amongst the garden. They just kind of blend into the gardens somehow and oh, the fantastic thing about the restaurant is that it was hidden behind a waterfall! Dunno if I'll be posting the pic of it tho, cos well, the only thing you can see in the pic is just...water...falling.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Not that nice of a pic but the restaurant was behind the curtain of water here ^^


More pics will be up later.



No comments: